Intermediate Software Developer, Information Technology
University of Ottawa
Follow us on LinkedIn
Duration in Months (for fixed-term jobs):N/A
Job Family:Application Development
# of Open Positions:1
Faculty/Service - Department:HR_3704_2_1
Date Posted:February 12, 2024
Closing Date:February 23, 2024
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above
Hours per week:35
Salary Grade:UOITP Grade 10
Salary Range:$72,368.00 - $89,979.00About Information Technology:
Information Technology is a dynamic and collaborative environment. We are focused on prioritizing and optimizing technological investments that facilitate the best student experience, as well as the activities of faculty, researchers and staff. Our greatest strength are the people working with us. People like you, professionals eager to flex their intellectual muscle and achieve new heights in their career. Working here gives you access to a great IT environment, rich with a diverse range of platforms, products, and services. This is a place where innovative ideas are welcome.
In a nutshell: working here is challenging and rewarding. It’ll bring out the best of you. We want people that have the drive to advance IT in higher education. We have the technologies to keep your inner fires burning, and benefits that can help you sustain a better lifestyle. And all this minutes away from gyms, the Byward Market, downtown, and the Rideau Canal at lunch time for runners and skaters.
Reporting to the Lead Technical Designer, the incumbent evaluates user business and software requirements and develops new or enhance existing and off-the-shelf computer applications. Is assigned small projects of limited duration or may participate in a designated portion of a larger project under supervision. Is focused on meeting user needs and improving the efficiency of the University’s operations through system and software solutions.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Analysis: Evaluates client’s business and functional requirements in order to fully explore their needs. Recommends solutions to improve systems and automation.
- Design: Creates technical designs, specifications or plans in order to translate requirements into technical specification documents. Designs, plans and coordinates effective software using appropriate tools and operating systems facilitating the function of the various departments, to increase their efficiency and productivity, and to reduce costs.
- Development, Testing and Documentation: Develops effective program code, tests and provides documentation for new releases or application upgrades. Translates specifications document into effective program code. Assists in the provision of user documentation. Creates technical specification, project plans and other documentation for review.
- Deployment: Installs or releases new software in alignment with established procedures and processes. Integrates the final product to existing software.
- Maintenance: Reviews and identifies the requirement to repair and maintain current systems and software to ensure they continue to perform in keeping with client expectations. Ensures that all issues concerning data integrity, security, and confidentiality and user secrecy are dealt with. Ensures daily that the systems in production are functional and performing, and that backup and recovery processes and procedures are completed properly.
What you will bring:
- University degree in Computer Science or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in the development and implementation of system and software programs.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft/PeopleTools would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of University policies, guidelines and standards regarding system and software development and deployment.
- Knowledge of and experience with programming tools, languages, techniques and industry standards and best practices.
- Experience in troubleshooting and repairing programs.
- Analytical skills to diagnose debug and repair programming issues.
- Ability to proactively keep abreast of new/emerging technologies.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to users.
- Bilingualism - both French and English (spoken and written).
Key Competencies at uOttawa:
Here are the required competencies for all or our employees at uOttawa:
Planning: Organize in time a series of actions or events in order to realize an objective or a project. Plan and organize own work and priorities in regular daily activities.
Initiative: Demonstrate creativity and initiative to suggest improvements and encourage positive results. Is proactive and self-starting. Show availability and willingness to go above and beyond whenever it is possible.
Client Service Orientation: Help or serve others to meet their needs. This implies anticipating and identifying the needs of internal and external clients and finding solutions on how to meet them.
Teamwork and Cooperation: Cooperate and work well with other members of the team to reach common goal(s). Accept and give constructive feedback. Able to adjust own behaviour to reach the goals of the team.
The University of Ottawa embraces diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are passionate about our people and committed to employment equity. We foster a culture of respect, teamwork and inclusion, where collaboration, innovation, and creativity fuel our quest for research and teaching excellence. While all qualified persons are invited to apply, we welcome applications from qualified Indigenous persons, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA2S+ persons. The University is committed to creating and maintaining an accessible, barrier-free work environment. The University is also committed to working with applicants with disabilities requesting accommodation during the recruitment, assessment and selection processes. Applicants with disabilities may contact email@example.com to communicate the accommodation need. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Note: if this is a union position: The hiring process will be governed by the current collective agreement related to the union affiliation noted above; you can click here to find out more.
If this is a front-line position with responsibilities to interact with students, selected candidates must be rated at the Low Advanced proficiency level or higher for both oral comprehension and reading comprehension in their second official language. The rating is determined by a proficiency test designed by the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute.
Prior to May 1, 2022, the University required all students, faculty, staff, and visitors (including contractors) to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as defined in Policy 129 – Covid-19 Vaccination. This policy was suspended effective May 1, 2022 but may be reinstated at any point in the future depending on public health guidelines and the recommendations of experts.