Requisition ID: 181117
Career Group: Store Management
Job Category: Retail - Produce
Travel Requirements: 0 - 10%
Job Type: Full-Time
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Nova Scotia
Location: 0644 Clayton Park Sobeys
Postal Code: B3M 3Y7
Our family of 131,000 employees and franchise affiliates share a collective passion for delivering exceptional shopping experiences and amazing food to all our customers. Our mission is to nurture the things that make life better – great experiences, families, communities, and our employees. We are a family nurturing families.
A proudly Canadian company, we started in a small town in Nova Scotia but we are now in communities of all sizes across this great country. With over 1,600 stores in all 10 provinces, you may know us as Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, Lawtons Drug Stores or another of our great banners but we are all one extended family.
Ready to Make an impact?
The Produce Manager is responsible for coaching, motivating, and developing department staff to foster customer loyalty, fulfil customer needs and actively contribute to an environment of employee and customer engagement. They are fiscally responsible for the operation of the department and will manage budgets, labour costs, inventory control, product presentation and merchandising while adhering to all protocols, procedures, policies and other programs and initiatives.
Here’s where you’ll be focusing:
- Create a coaching and development culture for all store employees that embraces a passion for food
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership while serving as a role model
- Manage direct reports including selection, orientation, training and development, performance management, succession planning and compensation
- Manage store operations and communicate requirements/changes to department employees as required
- Create a shopping experience that engages customers in a way that enhances loyalty, sales and profit
- Demonstrate exceptional product knowledge, including awareness of product changes, promotions, and seasonal trends
- Order, receive, organize, rotate, merchandise and present products and stock in accordance with company standards
- Provide superior customer service to meet customer needs
Policy/ Regulatory Adherence
- Ensure all applicable company policies and procedures are communicated and adhered to by employees
- Ensure that Occupational Health & Safety, food safety, and other regulatory requirements and procedures are implemented and maintained
- Maintain a thorough understanding of all relevant company programs and attend training as required
- Manage the department budget and ensure the department achieves all financial targets and maximizes sales and margins, including appropriate sales forecasting, variance analysis and correction, and labour cost control
Personal/ Professional Development
- Thorough understanding of all relevant company programs; attend training as required
- Keeps abreast of local competitor activity, industry trends and makes recommendations on internal pricing, promotions, and product policies
- Act as the employer of choice by actively supporting an environment of employee engagement
- Initiate, support, participate and lead community and charitable events and activities
- Coordinate maintenance of department equipment and repairs
- Provide feedback for continuous improvement
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment as per Company requirements
- Other duties as required
What you have to offer:
- Minimum 18 months of retail store experience, produce experience preferred
- High School Diploma
- Full knowledge of total store and department operations
- Experience reading and analyzing financial reports, and experience in developing and adhering to budgets
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Above average communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
We offer teammates competitive total compensation packages that will vary by role and location. Some websites share our job opportunities and may provide salary estimates without our knowledge. These estimates are based on similar jobs and postings for general comparison, but these numbers are not provided by or monitored for accuracy by our organization. We look forward to discussing the specific compensation details relevant to this role with candidates who are selected to move forward in the recruitment process.
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.