What is the role?
The Category Analyst reports directly to the Category Manager, and provides support by assisting in the introduction of new products, supporting all aspects of the administration of marketing and promotional activities, and preparing store communications. The incumbent will work in conjunction with the Category Manager to provide strong & effective exchange of information between Vendors, Marketing, Inventory Management, Visual Merchandising, and all other support groups and stores.
What will you do?
- Manage all aspects of new item setup and item maintenance. This includes vendor data, life cycle and listing types, item descriptions, web info and appropriate duty classification & import permits are in place
- Collect and complete New Product Listing forms
- Generate reports concerning item performance and provides recommendations to Category Manager and Vendors concerning possible changes or improvements
- Collaborate with Marketing & Category Manager to execute marketing/promotional activities e.g., promotional schedule, samples, fulfillment of vendor support agreements, shelf talkers and product imagery
- Assist the Category Manager with evaluations of cost changes and review of cost change templates
- Coordinate all levels of pricing with the Pricing Team, preparing cost change templates, promotional pricing and clearance pricing
- In collaboration with Inventory Management, provides new product and promotional forecasting and solutions to service level/fill rate issues
- Prepare store communications for new products, promotions and sales information
- Coordinate product samples and content for the monthly store Call-to-Action
- Assist in design and communication of planograms to store teams
- Maintain image database
- Complete and archive Purchase Agreements
- Produce new product launch and product knowledge training presentations
- Work cross functionally with web site team to ensure correct product content, copy and images
- Handles vendor questions/issues/problems on an as needed basis
- Perform general administration and other duties and projects as assigned
- Serves as back-up for the Category Manager when unavailable
What will you need to succeed?
Education and Experience
- 2-5 years supporting a purchasing/buying department, preferably in retail
- Post Secondary education with a focus in Business/Retail or Marketing and Communications
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong organizational skills plus sense of urgency
- Attention to detail along with excellent follow-up skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to adapt to constant changes in priorities
- Demonstrated strong knowledge and experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with vendors and colleagues, including Senior Management