Software Development Engineer
Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people’s lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you’ll be part of
As Nokia's growth engine, we create value for communication service providers and enterprise customers by leading the transition to cloud-native software and as-a-service delivery models. Our inclusive team of dreamers, doers and disruptors push the limits from impossible to possible.
Core Networks ENG R&D is looking for a Junior Software Development Engineer for the Nokia Policy Controller (NPC) product. Nokia Policy Controller is 5G ready and developed to cater for IOT demand. It is cloud native, utilizing Openstack and Vmware VCloud as the VIM and works with various VNFMs. DevOps tools and automation are an integral component as well. The Software Development Engineer will work with teams of people contributing to ongoing product evolution through new feature development.
What you will learn and contribute to
As part of the agile development team, you will:
- Develop and implement new product features
- Analyze reported product defects and fix as required
- Participate in requirements analysis, feature breakdown and estimates
- Provide input and recommendations to high level product architecture
Your skills and experience
- Bachelor´s degree or equivalent experience required, candidates with degree in a technical field (CS, EE, etc.) will be more relevant, Master´s is a plus
- At least 4 years experience working with Java and beyond in a Unix/Linux environment
- Solid understanding of cloud native, docker, kubernetes, microservices, CI/CD and DevOps
- Strong written and oral communication skills
It would be nice if you also had:
- Good understanding of software development lifecycles based on AGILE mode of working
- Familiar with Unit and Module testing and experience with automated test tools
- Understanding of NoSQL databases such as Aerospike
- Good debugging skills with proven ability to perform in a fast-paced environment and under time constraints while keeping attention to details
- Ability to multi-task and work on multiple issues, with quickly changing priorities
- Fluent in oral and written English
What we offer
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
- Our team has a social committee to plan monthly social activates such as hikes, games and donut appreciation.
- The opportunity to learn and grow in a fast paced, cutting edge high-tech company
- An inclusive culture where people are empowered and thrive is a community of diversity and respect
The Ottawa office has:
- A well stocked cafeteria and snack shop, with on premise Tim Horton's
- An indoor gym with instructor-led programs
- There are also outdoor sports facilities, including beach volleyball and basketball courts
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
- LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.