CNC Machinist (multiple openings)
BWXT Precision Manufacturing Inc. is a subsidiary of BWXT Canada Ltd. BWXT Precision Manufacturing Inc. is a leading supplier of precision-machined components to the international nuclear industry. We specialize in the manufacture of fuel channel and feeder components, tooling and fueling machine spares.
The CNC Machinist reports to the Production Supervisor and is responsible for the operation of one or more CNC machines. The CNC Machinist manufactures large precision-machined components working to tolerances less than 0.0005” using four and five axis mills, lathes, and/or mill-turn equipment. All work must be done purposefully with safety as the first priority.
- Run multiple BWXT machines and demonstrates an ability to work on various BWXT parts of varying degrees of complexity.
- Design and machine complex tooling / fixture as necessary.
- Establish with CNC Programmers and Engineers the key dimensions that need to be trended at the machine in the dimension sheets and in the MCS to ensure process capability.
- Adjust programs/reprogram the part in accordance with the approved PCR.
- Set up, troubleshoot and/or operate one or more of the following machine(s), using vises, fixtures, chucks, etc., concurrently in assigned area under limited supervision: CNC lathe, CNC mill, bandsaw, manual mill, manual drill press, and other power tools.
- Read and interpret technical drawings to set-up parts appropriately to ensure conformity and cycle time requirements.
- May transfer CNC programs between CNC equipment.
- Monitor to ensure Tool Life Management is implemented across the cell and in the respective machines which have automated systems.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering and Programming to prove out programs and lock them out, standardize and make minor changes to existing programs in accordance with established procedures.
- Enhance and follow approved work instructions and drawings provided.
- Strive to hit 100% first time throughput on setup’s and expedited through the QC department.
- Follow MCS and complete sign-offs as required.
- Perform basic machine adjustments, if necessary (ex. tool offsets).
- Set tools per Tooling Set Sheet.
- Read and interpret technical drawings to verify machined parts.
- Complete PCR’s to indicate process deficiencies or to make continuous improvement recommendations.
- Follow tooling life replacement program.
- Visually or mechanically inspect parts for defects (cracks, chips, dimension, surface finish, etc.) as part of in-process inspection; record results and notify lead/supervisor of deviation as appropriate.
- Comfortable using the following for measuring and inspection: various types of micrometers and calipers, profilometer, height gauge, indicators, edge finders, thread gauges, pin gauges, and bore gauges with master ring.
- Understand and meet or exceed production and quality standards; seek to minimize reject rate.
- Follow approved work instructions and drawings provided.
- Required to perform some simple machine preventative maintenance functions, i.e. checking coolants, checking lubricants, and changing filters, etc.
- Keep machines and work area clean; notify supervisor or maintenance when machine abnormalities occur.
- Possess the ability to use the computer system for basic departmental transactions.
- Safely move components with lifting devices such as overhead cranes, jib cranes, and fork-lifts.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Able to use a variety of BWXT machines and work on multiple BWXT parts to varying degrees of complexity.
- Educational background in manufacturing or equivalent experience working on CNC machines.
- CNC Machinist with a Certificate of Qualification is an asset.
- 5+ years of experience running 4 and 5 axis CNC mills, multi-axis lathes, long lathes, and/or mill/turn machines.
- Experience working in the aerospace, defence or nuclear industry is a definite asset.
- Able to read and interpret engineering component drawings including a strong understanding of metrology and GD&T.
- Demonstrated ability as an adaptable team player with strong communication and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong ability to work independently to complete assignments promptly while maintaining the high standards required in our industry.
- Experience using lifting devices (cranes and forklifts).
Please note this job will remain posted until all openings are filled.
We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
BWXT Precision Manufacturing Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability, or any other category protected by provincial law.
BWXT Precision Manufacturing Inc. is committed to fostering an accessible, fair, and inclusive environment where all employees are able to access goods and services while being respected and supported. If you require accommodations during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made. If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact Human Resources.