Thermal Hydraulic Research Engineer
At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWXT provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for national security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 6,400 employees, BWXT has 12 major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental remediation and nuclear operations management at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT’s technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production in North America and microreactors for various defense and space applications. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
BWXT is currently seeking a Thermal Hydraulic Research Engineer for its Advanced Technologies location in Lynchburg, VA!
BWXT is People Strong, Innovation Driven - be part of BWXT’s innovation hub. BWXT’s Advanced Technologies (AT) group researches, designs, and develops innovative new nuclear reactors, nuclear rocket propulsion systems, and radioisotope production systems for both internal and external customers.
AT is currently seeking a Thermal Hydraulic Research Engineer to be part of a diverse and multi-disciplinary team working on a variety of projects including next generation reactor design, reactor component/equipment development, medical isotopes, and advanced manufacturing technology development. This is a multi-faceted role providing an opportunity for an individual with a wide range of capabilities and interests. Work will include engineering inputs to our core modeling, simulation, and optimization modules using the MOOSE software framework, and other engineering design tools.
If you are looking for a career where your experience is valued, innovative thinking is fostered, and barrier-free teamwork is embraced every day, then this opportunity is for you. The position will be located in Barberton, OH.
Job Description / Duties:
- Design and analyze thermal hydraulic systems, components and processes for terrestrial and space nuclear power generation products.
- Develop and program new computational modeling tools and software solutions to enhance thermal hydraulic analysis capabilities.
- Act as a subject matter expert for thermal and system design engineering.
- Have the ability to provide technical leadership and oversight on project/task specific work.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate thermal hydraulic solutions into overall product designs.
- Prepare technical reports, documentation, and presentations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Stay up to date on industry advancements to incorporate latest analysis techniques into BWXT AT products.
Job Qualifications / Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering or a related field is required.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience is required.
- Must have proven experience in thermal hydraulic analysis and design.
- Strong programming skills in languages such as Python and/or C++ are required.
- Must be motivated to develop improved methods for analyses.
- Must be a team player with a proactive attitude.
- Must possess the ability to be productive in a dynamic/collaborative environment.
- Must be a motivated self-starter with good problem-solving skills, judgment, and analytical capability.
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) or Department of Defense (DOD) security clearance, whichever is required.
Additional Desired Skillsets:
- A Master’s degree or Ph.D. in a STEM discipline.
- Proficiency in CFD simulation software (e.g. ANSYS Fluent, Star-CCM+, etc.).
- Proficient in statistical analysis methods and tools.
- Experience or knowledge of space application products or nuclear systems.
- 12 paid holidays which include a winter holiday shutdown.
- Tuition Assistance.
- This position will work a 9/80 schedule.
- Free access to our 24/7 gym onsite in Lynchburg, Virginia.
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to you, your spouse, parents, and parents-in-law, even if they are not covered under your BWXT plan.
- BWXT employees have access to exclusive perks and discounts on everything from cars and electronics to banking services and a host of popular brands / products through Perks@Work.
- Medical, dental, vision, short term disability, service-based retirement contributions with additional 401k match and more!
As a federal government contractor, BWX Technologies, Inc. and any subsidiaries, affiliates and related entities (“BWXT” or the “Company”) complies with all federal, state, and local laws and customer requirements regarding COVID-19 and other health and safety protocols.
As such, all BWXT new hires will be required to adhere to applicable Company COVID-19 requirements within the workplace as a condition of employment.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. citizenship with (no dual citizenship) ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation, drug test and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.