At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Virginia, BWXT is a Defense News Top 100 manufacturing and engineering innovator that provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for global security, clean energy, environmental restoration, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With more than 7,000 employees, BWXT has 14 major operating sites in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental restoration and operations management at a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT’s technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production in North America and microreactors for various defense and space applications. For more information, visit www.bwxt.com. Follow us on LinkedIn, X, Facebook and Instagram.
BWX Technologies is looking for a Database Administrator in Erwin, TN!
At BWXT, the Database Administrator (DBA) participates in many aspects of the server-side applications environment. They must be highly skilled at managing the database software environment, primarily Microsoft SQL Server, and have knowledge of the technical environment of the networks and application software. The DBA provides traditional functions providing for secure, protected, responsive, and available database systems.
They are responsible for disaster recovery planning and recovery of database systems. They are instrumental in design of database solutions that include replication, high availability and other tool sets available to the DBA. They provide the consistent design of the database installs and execute those designs with installations. The DBA collaborates daily with programmers and analysts in the configuration of systems for in house written as well as purchased applications. The DBA is a critical member of any Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) installation team. The DBA works closely with the operations and network teams, understanding Active Directory and how it affects the database environment and items such as Kerberos and Managed Service Accounts. The DBA’s role is dynamic and critical to the secure and smooth operation of applications.
- Installs and upgrades database servers to include related products such as reporting tools.
- Designs and manages secure installs and standards of database servers.
- Participates as integral architect in design of server landscape.
- Understands, designs, and implements replication, high availability and security solutions for database servers.
- Work with teams and leads problem solving activities for applications that involve the database and other disciplines of IT.
- Provides solutions for automation using tools such as PowerShell in combination with automation techniques.
- Implements database imports and warehouse solutions.
- Maintains inventory of database environment, coordinating the creation of timely projects for upgrades.
- Understands and implements DISA STIGs to database servers as well as assist analyst in the understanding of and implementation of DISA STIGs for tools such as IIS.
- Manages projects related to database environment.
- Routinely updates management and others appropriate on status of work and issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience.
- Self-motivated and possess strong verbal, written, interpersonal, organizational, and customer service skills with the ability to communicate complex problems and solutions.
- Demonstrates advanced troubleshooting and critical thinking skills.
- Works independently and with small teams.
- Experience in Microsoft SQL Server and the Microsoft environment:
- Microsoft SQL Server current versions
- SQL Server Replication
- SQL Server High Availability
- SQL Server Clustering
- Proficient in database design and query optimization with advanced skills in this area.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with no dual citizenship.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a company sponsored U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Q and NRC U clearance.
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years' relevant experience preferred. Position can be re-leveled based on experience.
- Power BI/Reporting Services
- Understands Active Directory as it relates to the secure install and problem solving of the database environment.
- Knowledgeable in automation tools such as:
- Microsoft SSIS
The Senior Database Administrator will work a 9/80 work week while receiving market leading pay, paid time off, paid winter holiday shutdown, educational refund plan, medical, dental, and vision insurance options and service-based retirement contributions with additional 401k match.
The base salary range for this position in Tennessee at the start of employment is expected to be between $62,000 and $97,000 per year. However, the base salary offered is based on local job market factors, and may vary further depending on factors specific to the selected job candidate, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to these considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, such as an annual cash incentive in addition to a full range of medical, retirement, and/or other benefits. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided at such time the selected job candidate receives an offer of employment. If hired, the selected job candidate will be employed 'at-will,’ unless employed at a location and in a position subject to a collective bargaining agreement. The company further reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment, compensation or benefit program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, company or individual department/team performance, and other market factors.
As a federal government contractor, BWX Technologies, Inc. and any subsidiaries, affiliates and related entities (“BWXT” or the “Company”) complies with all federal, state, and local laws and customer requirements regarding health and safety protocols. As such, all BWXT new hires will be required to adhere to applicable Company health and safety requirements within the workplace as a condition of employment.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. citizenship with (no dual citizenship) ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation, drug test and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status